Nightshade is to be released by D3 Publisher on Steam April 12th! Let’s take a closer look at this title!
Update: Nightshade has been announced to be released on Nintendo Switch December 20th in Japanese, English, and Traditional Chinese language options. The release will be digital and physical, but one will have to order the physical from Japan if they wish to purchase it.
In Nightshade, you play as Enju, daughter of Kandou Ueno, the Head of the Kouga ninja clan. This clan was once at war with the Iga clan for decades until, in the year 1593, Nobunaga Oda started the Tenshō Iga war, decimating most of the Iga ninjas in the process.
The very few Iga that survived were absorbed into the Kōga clan, despite their past rivalries. After 17 years the Sengoku Period finally came to an end, and Japan was unified.
Enju spends her days training diligently in hope of becoming a full-fledged ninja like her peers. At long last she is assigned to her first mission, but finds herself caught in a dark conspiracy――.
As Enju, there are five characters for you to romance, they are
- Gekkamaru (CV: Wataru Hatano), protector of Enju was was adopted into her family with his younger brother when he was three
- Kuroyuki (CV: Hiro Shimono), Gekkamaru’s younger brother, he has been on an extended mission when he was eight, returning now after eight years
- Chōjirō Momochi (CV: Kohsuke Toriumi), son of the late leader of Iga and Enju’s cousin, he has been training Enju in the ninja arts
- Hanzō Hattori (CV: Kenjiro Tsuda), leads Tokugawa’s elite ninja force, he can be ruthless if needed in order to complete his mission
- Goemon Ishikawa (CV: Hikaru Midorikawa), a notorious thief in the capital of Kyo, basically Robin Hood of the city, Minister Ishida is desperate to catch him
The game also includes a cast of other lively characters from friends to possible enemies. Several characters and events are historically factual making it fun for those into Japanese history to see names they know.
There are 2 endings for each of the 5 main characters depending on the route the player takes. The ending movie and music changes according to the final outcome of the players choices.
Release Date: April 12th, 2017 (Steam) / December 20, 2018 (Switch)
System(s): PC (on Steam)/Nintendo Switch
Price: $34.99 9Steam)/ $47.99 (Switch)
Text Language: English, Japanese (Steam) / Japanese, English Traditional Chinese (Switch)
Get Game from Steam: Download
Get Game from Nintendo: Download